There’s no denying that something is certainly different about the atmosphere surrounding this year’s Bills team. From cigar smokin’ Uncle Rico to Tuel dressing up as opposing QBs for laughs. Our players are quirky, comical, intense, fresh, young, and exciting.
Now add in a pair of billionaires who just happen to love Buffalo, magically and seemingly dropping out of the sky, and after almost a quarter of a century, Bills fans finally don’t have to worry about losing our team. So if you have owner problems we feel bad for you son, we got 99 problems but an owner ain’t one. All in all, this year has been a brutal roller coaster of emotional events, but things finally seem to be swinging our way.
The day before this year’s Bills home opener, I posted a list of coincidences surrounding the Buffalo Bills and the number 14; something I compiled over the course of the week leading up to our squishing of the fish. In the five weeks following that post, there have been hundreds of responses from BILLievers all over the globe. Many of these responses deserved a spot on the newly compiled list below. So call me superstitious, but I’m sure this (new and improved) list has the ability to make even the most skeptical fan think twice. That being said, this is why 2014 is our year:
- It’s been 14 years since the Bills have made the playoffs.
- The total amount of playoff games the Bills have ever won: 14
- Sammy Watkins (#14) was acquired 1st round, 4th pick. We traded next year’s 1st and 4th round picks for him.
- Terry and Kim Pegula bought the Bills for $1.4 billion dollars.
- Ralph Wilson became our guardian angel in 2014.
- RCW passed away at age 95. (9+5=14)
- Jim Kelly beat cancer in 2014.
- Andre finally made the HOF in 2014.
- 12+83 ALWAYS = 6 (1+2+8+3=14)
- The Bills home opener against the Dolphins was on the 14th of September.
- EJ Manuel was benched after his 14th NFL career start bringing in Kyle Orton…the 14th QB to start since Jim Kelly.
- Jim Kelly and Hunter Kelly were both born on the 14th of February.
- Orton’s birthday is the 14th of November.
- Sammy Watkin’s birthday is on June 14th.
- During the last game of the Wilson ownership of the Buffalo Bills, with the score tied up at 14-14, Orton set up the Carpenter game winning kick with a 20-yard pass completion over the middle to the #14 Sammy Watkins with 14 seconds left in the game. This left the Lions with 1 play, and 4 seconds left in regulation to try and come back and win it.
- “Terry/Kim Pegula” = 14 letters
- It took a total of 14 minutes for the Pegula’s to be voted in by NFL owners as the new owners of the Buffalo Bills.
- In the event that this is in fact our year…the first round of the AFC playoffs are on January 3rd & 4th (1/4)
- If the Bills make the playoffs this year, it will be the 14th time that we have.
- 1+4 = 5th Super Bowl
So go ahead, haters, and tell us again how we’re just being “pathetically hopeful” for the 14th year in a row. It’s no longer an insult. And while Seattle fans may claim to be the “12th man,” as Bills fans, we know that we bring enough heat and tenacity into our house to be considered “twelve, thirteen and fourteen men.” Just ask Tom Brady after this Sunday, when hopefully, we’ll be able to say “Bills Beat Brady,” that’s 14 letters…go ahead, check it.